Experiments in Tape Pt. 2

To pick up where I left off yesterday, while I was letting those tape samples sit for a couple of days, I wondered what other tapes I could paint and decorate and use for random things.

So, I went rummaging through my bathroom cupboards at 2 am (as ya do. 😀 ) and found some paper medical tape, and some relatively wide sort of shiny fabric medical tape. I treated them both the same way I did the masking tape-I taped them down to the plexiglass on my studio table and I painted them. This time, though, I painted some with watercolors as I had been, and some with acrylics ( I used cheapy “art” acrylics in a tube because I had them handy, but I’m assuming craft acrylics would work the same way). I had my doubts about the acrylics because I thought they might dry too hard or flake off or something.

The top and bottom in this pic were done with acrylic, middle two with watercolors.

14249769_10154652049809994_3654519762888291267_o

The top two are the paper tape, the bottom two-the shiny fabric tape.

I’ll be straight up-the paper tape sucked. The watercolors looked crappy and neither sample strip wanted to come up off the plexiglass. The watercolor strip pretty much shredded, the acrylic strip ended up being pretty hard and weird.

The fabric tape did much better. The watercolor strip worked really well. The colors were muted a bit, sure, but I like that. And it retained it’s shininess. The acrylic strip turned out alright. I didn’t like the way it changed the texture so I likely won’t use acrylics with it again. But it wasn’t the disaster I thought it might be.

Ok, so I rolled these bits up on straws and put them away because it was time to get out the earlier test pieces.

I wanted to see how they would look *in* a project, and I wanted to see how repositional they are. That’s important to me, because when I make things I fiddle with layout a lot.

tapething2

Here’s a page from my planner (Look, don’t judge, this keeps me from freaking out about everything, all the time. 🙂 ) taken from my phone in the middle of the night, because that’s how I’ve been rolling, lately. 🙂

The masking tape is still a wee bit transparent, like normal, and like washi. It is easily repositional and looks relatively cute. I’ll call that a win. 😀

Ok, so I did one last test with the spiral fabric tape strips. I wanted to see how they acted on paper.

0911161438

I grabbed a couple pieces and just really quickly taped a couple pieces down. (With a guest appearance from a failed bit of stamping on another piece of masking tape!)

I repositioned the pieces several times, to see how well they pulled up, and they worked great. The spiral tape on the left is with acrylic, the the spiral tape on the right is both-the green and yellow is watercolor, the reddish brown is acrylic.

I like the way the masking tape and the fabric tape work, so much that I’m seriously thinking about adding some to the Etsy store, along with the other paper related things that are going up soon.

Either way, it’s a great way to add some personalization to your creative endeavors. I know I’ll be using these tapes all over the place!

Let me know what ya’ll think.

~T

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s